Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Scream



This painting stands for what society does not want to see; fear of something different. The figure in the middle is poverty, his is the struggle of the different, and he is what does not want to be seen. The man (alien) is seen to be less than a person. There are two upper class looking figures in the back; they are portrayed to be humans not aliens. The “humans” in the back are the ones who looked down on the “alien”, they are the ones who make the man in the middle to be an alien. The figure in the center is an alien because he is feared; he is not what society wants. The “alien” is dehumanized by the society he is within. He is dehumanized for the fact that he is not the same. Marilyn Manson has a song talking about the same thing, the song is the Nobodies.






In this video Manson is basically saying that he is nobody because that’s all he can be in society and remain to be himself. Sometimes to stay true to ones self is parallel with being exiled from society. There are many examples of people being outcaste for what they feel to be right; even as an outcaste one must do what feels right for that person.

The reason why I chose to tattoo The Scream on my back is because I feel that the different or even the feared need to stop being ignored and should be seen to all. The point to this painting and to the Manson video is saying no matter if one is seen to be nobody or an alien they well still continue to be who they are even if that means they are no longer seen to be human. I chose these images in the hopes that people can see that the differences are not as big as they appear.

2 comments:

jacky martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jacky martinez said...

Wow! When I saw your tattoo, to be honest, I didn't like it. It wasn't "cute" or attractive to me, but know that I know what it represents I have become fond of it. Most people I know get tattoos just because without a real message or meaning behind it. I think it's really admirable how strongly you feel about dehumanization against others. Your tattoo has made a big impact on me and you have made a strong statement