Sunday, February 4, 2007

First Tattoo

A tattoo is something that stays with someone for the rest of their life . It is not a decision that should be taken lightly. This topic should be researched in depth because of the commitment. This decision is a personal one, which should be meaning full to the holder at some level. In the research I plan on taking to as many people as possible (who can be of help in regards to tattoos). People who have had tattoos both done good and bad. Also comparing different artist’s and what they have to say about the tattoo I wish to be apart of.

The audience for this topic would be any one who wants a tattoo (for the first time), has a tattoo or finds them to be intriguing. For ones first tattoo there is a fear that the artist well be bad, over priced, or the fear of making a mistake in their choice of design. There are a million things that can go wrong when not knowing what to expect.

The majority of research for this paper well be with local tattoo artist’s. Who is reliable and how much will they charge? What artist would be better for color or for black and white or for detail? By looking at many tattoo artists I can find the one who is best suited for recreating the Panting The Scream. An artist with great detail, extraordinary color blending, and is capable of completing more then half of a back tattoo by free hand.

Needing to find a “tattoo artist”, I plan to put a painting on my back. Not just any tattoo artist could replicate the painting wanted as my tattoo. Leading to questions; what makes a tattoo artist great? What makes a tattoo artist qualified, time/experience, quality or both? The tattoo I desire is not a picture nor should it be treated like one. It should be looked at as a painting with little outlining. A great tattoo is not chip, takes a lot of time, and complete dedication.

This subject is a personal matter which will have to be researched in depth. I hope that I will be able to pull this paper off. Oddly the date I plan to start my tattoo is the day this paper is due; the eighteenth. So I will have all the research and decisions made before then. If there is a conflict with this topic I would like to write about a palm reader. This is something that I have always wanted to know more about. This observational essay will be compelling; this is a real topic that needs to be looked at deeply in order for me to get my tattoo.

4 comments:

Jonathan Tran said...

Haha what a cool idea. I've always like a tattoo, but just like you said I'm very weary if I am to get a tatoo. Who knows what I'll think about it in the future.

I enjoy your writing style, fluid and goes in a way that I can understand. Maybe you could jazz it up with some snazzy words or add kind of an emotional-air to it. ( It seems like it is a big deal to you so show it!)

Also, cold reading is something that I am also very interested in as well. I believe the idea is to say generalities that sound very nearness. Very sneaky and very cool. I'm not 100% sure about this, not even 25% sure of it. I hope you do palm reading, though tattoo would be way cool as well.

Korin said...

I don't have any desire to get a tattoo (needles scare me to death...) but the way that you put it, I really would like to read a piece about it. In my English class in high school, we read a similar piece, and it was amazing. The author described everything down to the slightest detail, so that you could even see the studio where she was getting a piercing. I think that you could do that too, because of the way that you wrote this decision paper. I hope that you can go through with it, that painting, The Scream, is an awesome choice, and it would be cool to actually see something like that. I also hope that you can find a tattoo artist that could do it correctly.

Molly Bloom said...

That's interesting that you want The Scream on your back. It will probably be really hard to recreate considering it was created by such an amazing artist. This topic does require a lot of research. How long did it take you to decide that you would want this particular tattoo. That's going to hurt so bad. I just got my nose pierced and that was only one whole somebody had to make... and that hurt really bad. Do you plan on getting anymore tattoos? I'm really interested to read this essay, and see your tattoo for that matter.

Martha E. Altman said...

Congrats on wanting/getting a tattoo! I have two, and each experience was quite different.

I'm glad that you have realized that it takes time to find a good artist, as well as the appropriate art. With my first one, I waited about 15 years until I finally had the freedom (long story) to do what I wanted to do. Still, it took quite a bit of time to find just the right one - the perfect picture of what I wanted. My second was done as part of a winning bet with my best friend. Still, I had to take the time to figure out exactly which picture I wanted inked on my body.

It's a huge decision, and yes, it should be something that you have for the rest of your life. Do it without regrets or worry.... do it only if you know that deep down, you really want to.