Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Self- Reflective Essay: An Inside Of The Writer

All writers have both good and bad writing habits; I am no exception to this. I have a large number of good qualities as a writer and also a large number of bad attributes. Understanding one's strength and weaknesses as a writer is a good way to measure progress as a writer and to also see how I can improve. To grasp bad qualities a writer may have is just as important if not more important than understanding the good ones.

I see my greatest strength as a writer is that I have good ideas; I am inspired by expressions such as art and music. I love to find out what a piece art or music is really trying to say and apply to everyday life. “In this video Manson is basically saying that he is nobody because that’s all he can be in society and remain to be himself. Sometimes to stay true to ones self is parallel with being exiled from society.” This sentence in the post The Scream is not just a rambling mess of words. There is a meaning in this blog, the ideas that are being expressed are not there just for the sake of expression but the ideas in the post are seen in everyday life and go unnoticed.

Maybe my strengths could be described as a curiosity of understanding, allowing my passion to show within my writing. “The eye is captured by defining elements which is some what out of place; the stairwell”. In this blog I talk about how much one defining element can set the whole tone of an image. Not only the image but how one element can define a piece of writing as well; in this case the stairwell. The light of the stairwell is what drew me to this image; I found it to be undeniable and had to write about the light; the curiosity of what the light could be.

The other strength within my writing is the ability to speak about the emotions I feel while looking at or when reading something I find inspirational. “Looking at the image there is a feeling of peace, the colors are soothing leaving the viewer with ones thoughts. The lighting appears to be setting, bringing the eye to the horizon”. I describe purely the feeling within that moment, the first encounter I have with an image and the overwhelming feelings that enter my mind. I do my best to explain the emotion that run inside me as something truly inspiring engages me.

I have many weaknesses within my writing, one is that I have a very large challenge in terms of spelling. I have a tendency of not writing what I am thinking or even speaking. I cannot edit anything on my own and always seek the assistance from someone morethan the normal person. The next sentence is not necessarily bad but with proper editing it would actually make sense. “it is making the stairwell and its light source the most mportant element to this particular piece of art." All of these problems are insignificant. My biggest weakness in my writing is I tend to leave out important thoughts, which robs readers of a full explanation of my thoughts.

“The phrase the Lamb of God is a biblical reference for who takes away the sins of the world. The term in this situation is completely out of context in regards to the meaning of the song”. These two sentences are interesting and allow the reader to gain a biblical understanding of the song. I fail to explain how the term Lamb of God (who takes away sin of the world) is out of context within the Marilyn Manson song. If I would have explained the irony of Manson referring to himself as “he who takes away sin of the world” in a song that is talking about how society corrupts his words and sees him to be a Lamb of God, then the audience would be able to see that this is the complete opposite of what is really taking place.

There are many things that could be done in order to improve my writing. I need to gain an understanding of the areas where I have strength and also grasp the areas that are weak. I feel comfortable as a writer and am looking to improve my ability by utilizing this understating. I hope by doing so that I can gain a better feel for my style and my voice.

No comments: